Thursday, August 14, 2008

I have a score of 1130 in GRE.Please suggest some good universities in US for masters in finance.

Vinay Deshmukh
Software Engineer at Accenture

I have a work ex of 2+ years at accenture in financial services and good academic record during my graduation. I'm looking for masters in finance (1 or 2 years) in some good universities, I know GRE score would be constraint for me. Please suggest some good universities which accept such a profile. PS: Universities providing funding are more important for me as I'm not so economically strong to pursue the education on myself. Thanks in advance.. Vinay Deshmukh


Steve Durkee
Market Strategist/Analyst/Executive Director

Vinay, Well there are quite a few options. I am sure that you already know the advantages of getting an M.S. in Finance over an MBA with a finance specialization (primarily, most programs can be completed in as little as a year). If I were to put myself in your shoes, the main thing I would be looking for is a school with an established recruiting system (career services) that has partnerships with larger corporations. One other thing to consider is that many B-schools have transitioned to just accepting the GMAT as a standard entrance requirement. That being said, I am not recommending you take another exam, but it may open more doors for you if you do. If I were picking a MS program in Finance my top two choices would be Boston College and University of Illinois. Both have stellar reputations, and provide a relatively high ROI. The links are posted below. University of Illinois accepts both the GRE and GMAT. Another thing to consider is making your application the best it can be. There is a great tutorial on that you can find here http://www.mba.com/mba/ApplyEffectively, on how to create a quality application. Also, keep in mind you want to talk to someone in admissions at the college to address your concerns. Some schools have conditional acceptance policies that allow you entrance into the program with the assumption you will do well in your first set of courses. Never make the assumption that you won’t be able to get in without talking to someone first. That being said, you will want to have a plan going into the conversation to address specific issues that are concerns of yours so you get the most out of the conversation. I have also posted a couple of links to help you find more options, good luck to you in your future efforts. Steve

Links:
http://www.business.uiuc.edu/msf/default.aspx
http://www.bc.edu/schools/csom/msf/
http://www.gradschools.com/Subject/Finance/160.html

No comments:

Post a Comment