Saturday, August 30, 2008

MBA Specializations: Do you recommend a general MBA or a particular specialization?

Gary Gremel
C-Level Business Executive ► Tenacious, Value Driven


MBA Specializations: Do you recommend a general MBA or a particular specialization?
I strongly believe you get want you put into your educational pursuits. Owning and operating a company for 14 years, my professional career has afforded a broad background in business. I have directed team efforts in sales, operations, IT, accounting, finance, marketing, and IT. I am personally interested in exploring specializations in technology management, organizational leadership, E-Business, or financial management. However, I would appreciate to discuss options to specialize on their own merit as they relate to realized benefits and demand in today's workplace.

Steve Durkee
Market Strategist/Analyst/Executive Coach

After reading the other comments I thought I would add this food for thought. Most MBA programs don't list a specialization on your actual diploma, however it will most likely be listed on your transcripts. Another thing to see is if it requires extra coursework to get your specialization. For my MBA the difference was that the general I could choose my electives and the specialization I had to take particular electives. It turned out I was able to hone in better on my niche by doing the general as one of the electives wasn't part of that particular specialization but it is required for almost all of the positions I have been looking into. From my perspective I would look at the jobs you want to pursue and then assess are there additional courses outside of the specialization that would help you better prepare for that role. Having the portfolio to show of areas that distinguish me from other candidates is key, I think it is always better to show than tell. Just thought I would add that on. Best wishes in your educational pursuit, Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment