Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Which Degree To Choose?

Jerry Yeung
Owner, Confidential
I'll skip the minute details so not to bore you.... (please excuse any typos, long day and its late) I'm in my early twenties I started working at age 14, started a business at 16 and have over 7 years of management experience. Long story short, I've been considering two possible degree options (they are online programs and the place isn't prestigious, its only route I have that does not require 4 years of full time study)*: 1) One will take only 1 year of time, but its only a general degree 2) The other requires 2.5 years of full time effort, but its a commerce degree I'm not a typical "fresh graduate" with no work experience, as I mentioned above. In your opinion, is a commerce degree (I've looked at the content, little I don't already know) be worth an extra 1.5 years of time? How would you evaluate the options? What would you suggest? Many thanks, *The details are rather dull, but if you are interested, I can let you know
I'll skip the minute details so not to bore you.... (please excuse any typos, long day and its late) I'm in my early twenties I started working at age 14, started a business at 16 and have over 7 years of management experience. Long story short, I've been considering two possible degree options (they are online programs and the place isn't prestigious, its only route I have that does not require 4 years of full time study)*: 1) One will take only 1 year of time, but its only a general degree 2) The other requires 2.5 years of full time effort, but its a commerce degree I'm not a typical "fresh graduate" with no work experience, as I mentioned above. In your opinion, is a commerce degree (I've looked at the content, little I don't already know) be worth an extra 1.5 years of time? How would you evaluate the options? What would you suggest? Many thanks, *The details are rather dull, but if you are interested, I can let you know


Steve Durkee
Market Strategist/Analyst/Executive Director
Best Answers in: Education and Schools, Occupational Training
Jerry, I would be happy to help you out, a couple of questions and things to consider. First, is the one year program a Bachelor degree program? That would be lightning speed for that kind of program, and I would question its validity. In business, the fields that you can go into require different levels of education. You have some things working for you and some things working against you. I would encourage you to check out Onet, I will post the link below. It covers industry trends and occupational information. Business in general is a hard field, both to get into what you want to be do and reach the level of success that many aspire to achieve, however if you position yourself well it provides limitless opportunity. I asked about the degree type because I would have to agree with Maria, if you are going to work at an executive level you will want to get your MBA. A general degree at any major corporation typically does not cut it. I would have to disagree with the comment saying that a degree is just a piece of paper. I have worked with people with degrees and without and there is a definite level of maturity that comes with going through that process. It is not easy, but in the end it should be worthwhile. For me, the choice would be easy. If I was just looking at what would provide the most opportunity, it would be whichever program you think you can get the most out of. What is the point of doing a degree program just to have a degree? If you don't value it, it is worth nothing, and you are just throwing money away. However, if you find something you can engross yourself in and really like to study, that level of interest will come through when you are looking for opportunities in the field. Good luck to you, Steve
Links:
http://www.linkedin.com/redirect?url=http%3A%2F%2Fonline%2Eonetcenter%2Eorg%2F&urlhash=cUKn

No comments:

Post a Comment